Every new AVSAR member starts out on the 3-season team. Applications for Winter teams are based on a separate set of skills and would involve a separate application process. For the 3-season team, submit the application form below. 3-Season applications are collected and then reviewed for completeness. Candidates are chosen based on the strength of their application, availability, references, and the needs of the team.
Before you apply, you MUST meet or exceed all of the criteria below:
- You must be at least 18 years of age and live year round at a physical address within a one hour drive to the Presidential Range.
- You must have the strength and stamina to hike all day carrying their equipment and
additional group rescue equipment.
- You must own hiking clothing, boots, and equipment appropriate for all weather and conditions.
- You must be able to function as part of a team to carry a patient in a litter over steep, rugged terrain.
- You should be experienced hiking on the White Mountain trail system and be familiar with trail names and trailhead locations.
- You should be able to use a map and compass to navigate to a given location or to determine the coordinates of a location in the field.
- You should be able to build a fire, create a survival shelter, and survive 24 hours in the
mountains with their equipment.
- You should be able to identify heat exhaustion, heat stroke, hypothermia and common hiking related injuries and provide assistance or aid to the patient. Certification in CPR and First Aid is encouraged.
The committee responsible for processing applications will review your response and may contact your references. If your application is approved you may be invited to a shakedown hike. These hikes are scheduled at the discretion and availability of the committee members responsible for onboarding new members. This is an opportunity for us to get to know you better and gain a better understanding of your skills, experience, and fitness level, and for you to ask us questions. After the shakedown, if the committee feels it is appropriate for you to join AVSAR, you will be added to the 3-season roster.
*AVSAR is a volunteer organization. Please be patient while you wait for a decision.